Physical therapy is a science with many practical and diverse tools for the treatment and relief of pain using non-invasive physical methods. In this context, TENS stand out. Today, these electro stimulators are known as one of the best treatment options, as they are capable of relieving pain of various kinds effectively and quickly.
What is TENS?
TENS (transcutaneous nerve electrostimulation) is an exogenous neuro-stimulation therapy in which a machine is used to apply low-frequency and low-intensity electrical currents to the surface of the skin to soothe the sensation of pain generated by different phenomena.
The effectiveness of this type of therapy is based on blocking the pain signal towards the brain. Specifically, it is based on the well-known theory of floodgates, which explains how by the effect of tactile stimuli, the sensation of pain is dispersed.
According to this theory, if the brain is distracted, it cannot pay attention to the pain that has been caused by a source of trauma, which is why it does not feel the pain.
In this way, physiotherapists work with TENS by generating stimuli at the level of the nerves, so that the brain pays all its attention to the small waves generated, and not to the source of pain itself. In this way, the nociceptive pathways are entirely blocked.
Also, it can quickly vary the intensity and frequency of the waves it produces, knowing that the human brain has the property of adapting rapidly to events, so that, if the waves were constant, it would change and stop concentrating on the waves and refocus on the sensation of pain.
This therapy has a very active role in the treatment of terminal illnesses, especially in cases where patients suffer a type of acute pain, such as those caused by cancerous tumours. TENS therapy is beneficial in relieving severe pain and significantly reducing the medication that brings with it some collateral damage and side effects.
Its use spreads rapidly, since in addition to relieving the sensation of pain, it notably reduces the need for and dependence on analgesics. In this way, the system or organism benefits in a holistic approach, thanks to the non-invasive and innocuous nature of this method of pain dissipation.
- PAIN RELIEF MACHINE. The rechargeable and powerful TENS machines can stimulate the muscles and sensory nerves, activate specific natural pain gate mechanism, relax your body and have pain management...
- UP TO 20 MODES. Pre-set modes offer you hammering, kneading, shiatsu and more choices to help relieve pain associated with aching and fatigue muscles in the shoulder, low back, knee from exercise,...
- INDEPENDENT MODE CONTROL. You can set separate modes and intensities for channel A and channel B. For example, you could choose Acupuncture mode in channel A with an intensity level of 5 for your...
- UPGRADED TENS ELECTRODE PADS. The included tens machine pads can provide excellent self-stick performance for up to 45 uses and uniquely contoured to massage any part of the body. The shaped 2" TENS...
- What You Receive: 1 x Dual Channel TENS Machine, 4 x 2" Square Electrode Pads, 4 x Large Rectangle 2"x4" Pads, 2 x Lead Wires, 1 x USB cable, 1 x User Manual, 1 x Pad Holder, 1 x Pouch, our 12-month...
- The Med-Fit 1 is a Dual Channel TENS unit perfect for treating all types of chronic pain ideal for back pain, sciatica, knee and all other joint pains. Supplied with 8 top quality tens electrode pads.
- As a UK approved medical company we supply this TENS model to most major hospitals and pain clinics thought out the uk, as the Med-Fit 1 has full medical approval and certifications.
- Full support and after sales service from a UK TENS specialist company located in Greater Manchester with professional advice available from our experienced TENS therapy team. Fully compliant to the...
- Constant, modulation and burst modes, Variable pulse rate and Variable pulse width. This is a true TENS Machine recommended by most pain clinics.
- Very simple operation and easy to use, Comes with comprehensive instructions and Paitient Guide to TENS including TENS Machine Electrodes placement guides. Light weight, Robust and Supplied with a...
- Pre-set modes for ease of use for the Elle TENS
- Integrated boost button for contractions. Dimensions: 3 x 5.50 x 11.5 cm
- Optimax Technology for extra power – combatting labour pain
- Supplied with instructions, electrodes and batteries – everything you need for the Elle TENS
- Elle TENS by Babycare TENS – The no 1 choice for Mums
- Safe and easy to use, with no side-effects for the mother or baby
- TENS + EMS COMBINATION UNIT. AUVON TENS EMS machine combines 2 therapies in 1 device, in which TENS provides safe, non-invasive, drug-free methods of pain relief used by doctors and physical...
- INDEPENDENT DUAL CHANNEL. You can choose different modes and intensities for channel A and channel B. For example, you could choose P1 mode in channel A with an intensity level of 3 for your shoulder....
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL WITH 24 MODE. 20 levels of intensity, 24 preprogrammed massage modes with adjustable time (maximum to 90 min). With built-in powerful rechargeable lithium battery, the AUVON...
- UPGRADED TENS ELECTRODE PADS. The Low impedance Solid Gel has been upgraded to the industry leading American adhesive, which can provide much better self-stick performance and easy clean up after 45...
- What You Receive: 1 x AUVON Dual Channel TENS machine, 12pcs 5cm x 5cm Tens Machine Pads, 2 x Lead Wires (1/2 Wire), 1 x USB cable, 1 x Pouch, 1 x Professional User Manual, 1 x Happy Card, Our...
- ♡【16 Preprogrammed Massage Modes】- Knocking, tuina, acupuncture, shiatsu, rubbing, vibration, pinching, foot reflexology, ear kneading options help diminish the sensation of physical pain like...
- ♡【Reusable Pads & Ten Hours Use】- Premium hydrogels utilize multi-layer technology which gives good conduction, no need to use any gel together, reusable for 15-20 times when used properly; Up...
- ♡【Variable Intensity And Timer】- 10 levels of intensity allows you to fine-tune the pulse width and rate which optimize sensitive control to relax your particular pain. A pre-programmed timer...
- ♡【Dual-Output Design And LCD Backlit Screen】- Dual-channel output, safe pulse travels through two sets of electrode pads placed on your skin simultaneously (4 or 6 pads at a time),The digital...
- ♡【Lightweight And Portable】- This TENS unit is small, compact but lightweight making portability easy and convenient.Compact palm-sized enables you to massage on the go or in the office, to get...
- High quality digital dual channel Tens machine
- Large clear display
- It has 5 modes to choose from for maximum pain relief
- Comes complete with accessories
- Very Simple and easy to use
- PROFESSIONAL TENS MACHINE. The rechargeable and powerful TENS unit can excite / stimulate the sensory nerves and muscles, activate specific natural pain gate mechanism, relax your body and have pain...
- UPGRADED TENS ELECTRODE PADS. The included tens machine pads can provide excellent self-stick performance for up to 45 uses and uniquely contoured to massage any part of the body. You may also find it...
- 16 CHOICES FOR PAIN RELIEF. AUVON electronic tens machine muscle stimulator has as many as 16 user-friendly pre-promgrammed massage modes and adjustable timing, making it much easier to use than other...
- RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERY. No worries about treatment interruption for dead AA batteries any more! It can give you continuous use up to 10 hours! The power indicator would keep you aware of the...
- What You Receive: 1 x AUVON TENS Machine, 8 x Square Electrode Pads, 2 x Lead Wires (1/2 Wire), 1 x Pads Holder, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Pouch, 1 x Professional User Manual, 1 x Happy Card, our 12-month...
- 【WHO Benefits from this TENS + EMS 2 in 1 Unit?】: 1. For those suffering from muscle, chronic, nerve, and even some acute pain, it can relieve pain & tension. 2. For those who want muscle toning &...
- 【SAFE and EFFECTIVE RELIEF】: AS1080-16AB massager device is a natural and highly effective TENS machine for pain relief with muscle stimulation effect. It is an easy-to-use muscle and electrical...
- 【RECHARGEABLE and POWERFUL】: With 16 Auto modes Options-7 EMS, 5 TENS, 4 TENS & EMS- and 8 massage types (such as massage, kneading, acupuncture), the portable and compact-size unit provides the...
- 【DUAL CHANNELS for DIFFERENT AREAS】: Two Independent Channels control electrodes in pairs allowing application in different areas simultaneously. 20 intensity levels can be chosen independently...
- 【Note】: DO NOT use the product if you have a cardiac pacemaker or an existing cardiac condition, implanted metal devices/screws areas of the body or suffer from epilepsy. Please read the complete...
- 【💪DUAL CHANNEL PULSE MASSAGER】 - Small, safe pulse travels through two sets of electrode pads placed on your skin simultaneously (4 pads at a time), 15-20 minutes per session, not only can you...
- 【💪16 INDEPENDENT MASSAGE MODES】 - Dual channels can be set with different modes and intensities. You may choose the Cupping mode in channel A with an intensity level of 2 on your shoulder....
- 【💪ADJUSTABLE INTENSITY AND TIMER】 - 20 level of intensity allows you to fine-tune the pulse width and pulse rate which optimize sensitive control to relax your particular pain; A pre-programmed...
- 【💪REUSABLE PADS & TEN HOURS USE】 - Premium hydrogels utilize multi-layer technology which gives good conduction, no need to use any gel together, reusable for 15-20 times when used properly; Up...
- 【💪COMPACT, PORTABILITY, BACKLIT SCREEN】 - Pocket-sized and dual-output design enable you to massage more body parts on-the-go or in specific places; The digital LCD backlit feature makes the...
- 8 PRE-PROGRAMMED MODES: You can choose from 8 massage modes you like for your body relaxation,including pushing, acupuncture, tapping, scraping, cupping, random, body building, combination.
- ADJUSTABLE TIMER: Built in timer from 10 to 60 minutes,default timer: 20 minutes. When time is due, it is automatically shut off.
- FDA APPROVED: Highly ensured for optimal safety when getting fast relief through certifications, further protects you from harmful additives and consumption of prescription medication.
- EASY READ DISPLAY: Easy to read animated backlit LCD display provides a better view of the screen especially at night or in the dark light.
- RECHARGEABLE: It can be connected to wall unit or computer USB port to charge(adapter and USB cable is included). Built in rechargeable lithium battery-- up to 5 hours of continuous use.
Types of TENS
Depending on the type of mechanism that is used to decrease pain, the electrostimulation of TENS can be divided into different categories as they are:
The fast or conventional analgesic TENS
It is a program used as an analgesic that works by inducing a pain block at the level of the spinal cord, based on the theory of The Gateway of Melzack and Wall.
This program is based on short impulses, which can go from 30 to 15 μs, and the impulse frequency is high from 80 to 140 Hz, produces a quick but limited analgesic effect and lasts from 1 to 3 hours approximately. It is a treatment that lasts about 30 to 60 minutes, in which the patient will feel a very mild and pleasant tingling in the area of application.d and pleasant tingling in the field of application.
TENS electro-acupuncture or analgesia with a delayed effect
This program has outcomes that vary depending on how the electrodes are placed; this can generate endogenous production of endorphins and increased vascularization. In this TENS a low impulse frequency of 1 to 5 Hz is caused, in which a delayed analgesic effect of at least 30 minutes before the treatment is finished is obtained, being even longer than the conventional TENS. The procedure lasts approximately 30 to 40 minutes. The patient will be able to perceive muscular contractions that will gradually increase.
TENS with scanning
It has an action quite like that of the fast TENS program. In this program there will be a variation both in the frequency and in the amplitude of the electrical impulse while the stimulation is being carried out, to avoid adaptation to the stimulus (it is not necessary to adjust the intensity during the whole session).
The TENS of maximum values
It is a program that produces a peripheral blockage of the painful impulses, thus offering a local analgesic effect. It is a type of TENS that is highly recommended in the event of sudden injuries or wounds, in which pain relief should be immediate. In this case, the intensity with which the impulse is generated must always be bearable by the patient, although still a little higher than that of conventional TENS.
TENS Burst or Burst
In this program, a stimulation is carried out that will produce the effect of TENS training or Endorphin, which should use frequencies like those of conventional type TENS.
Applications of TENS electrostimulation
This type of physiotherapy can be applied in different pathological conditions with pain of varying nature, such as neck pain, tendinitis, bone pain, nervous or rheumatic cases of lumbago, back pain, pain in the sciatic, dislocations, sprains, epicondylitis, post-surgery pain, episcleritis, phantom limb pain and even penile pain.
It is also widely used to treat pain in patients with terminal illnesses such as cancer, helping to reduce the doses of medications and thus avoiding the side effects of them.
Likewise, TENS can be used for massages, in which the muscular area relaxes. It is a very successful therapy among patients, as it is non-invasive, easy to apply and can be used in the comfort of the home. Besides, different portable TENS devices can be purchased to apply the same patient therapy at home or in the place you require.
How is TENS used?
Although it is a very natural therapy to perform, we must pay close attention to the transmission of the impulses that are generated, through the electrodes that come with a rubber capable of transmitting the impulses, these must be placed on the patient’s skin in the area where the pain occurs.
The TENS unit has two knobs or control buttons, in which one controls the intensity and the other accelerates or retards the electrical signal of the device. Before starting, place both knobs off, then in the area of the skin where the pain is should be cleaned with alcohol and let it evaporate and dry. Following this, a little conductive gel is placed at the base of each rubber electrode and stretched so that a thin layer is formed (this gel helps conduct the electrical signal that is transmitted to the nerves beneath the skin). The electrodes are then placed on the surface.
The electrodes have different polarities, so that the positive (red) wire should be placed at the point where pain is considered to start, and the negative (black) electrode should be placed where the end of the pain zone is considered or where it expands.
The electrodes change polarity continuously throughout the session, so it does not matter so much how they are placed according to the contradiction.
It should be taken into account is that the position in which they are placed should form a picture in the area where the sensation of pain is presented unless the physiotherapist indicates another form of placement to exercise some form of alternative or complementary therapy according to his judgment.
The electrodes must be fixed to the surface of the skin using medical tape or an adhesive that covers the wire so that the electrode remains attached to the skin throughout the session. After the electrodes are securely attached, you must place the tip of the connecting wires at the end of each connector; then each cable will be connected to the TENS device.
Since everything is ready, the buttons should be gently rotated until the correct frequency, and intensity settings are reached. At this point, you will begin to feel a slight tingling on your skin. Now secure the TENS unit, you can put it in your pocket.
The placement of the electrodes can vary depending on the cases can be placed: In the area of pain, on acupuncture points, In the field of reflex projection or on the extension of the dermatome, consult your specialist if you are going to perform the therapy yourself.
Differences between TENS and EMS
Indeed, both devices work by electrostimulation of the muscles of the body. Still, there is often confusion when talking about both techniques, often considered as if they were the same, but it is not, each has characteristics that make it unique and special.
TENS Electro Stimulators
On the one hand, we have TENS. It is a small device with which electrical pulses are generated to reduce or reduce a sensation of pain, achieving a level of analgesia. With this therapy, you can control pain that occurs after a traumatic event or surgery, such as sciatica, low back pain, arthritis, menstrual pain, rheumatism, back pain, headache or migraines, blows. Its primary purpose is to block muscle pain through electrostimulation.
The session time of the TENS is relatively long periods, ranging approximately from 15 to 30 minutes, and its electrodes are usually of equal size, both small. They stimulate the sensitive nerve fibre. In this way, a complementary treatment is achieved, in which acute pain is controlled after operations or injuries.
What is EMS?
Whereas the EMS is a therapy that addresses muscle work, which has as its main feature that should only be used when there is no injury or suffer any harm, if the patient suffers an injury, it should be mild.
To treat cases of scoliosis, delay atrophy in inactive patients, relax muscle spasms, increase circulation after prolonged inactivity, re-educate muscles, perform movement, prevent venous thrombosis, reduce tense or rigid muscles (with spasticity) and help by acting on the sensory nerves of the musculature.
Besides, the EMS work in periods of ten to twenty minutes, in which there are no modulations.
EMS, unlike TENS, work in short periods of between 10 and 20 seconds, with pauses of one and sixty adjustable seconds. Its electrodes vary in size so that they can be combined and adapted to the muscles, depending on the stimulation methods required. In general terms, its action is based on stimulating each of the motor nerve fibres.
Contraindications of electro-stimulators
Electro-stimulators should not be used for any reason if you have a fever with a body temperature of more than 38 degrees or in severe illnesses. Nor should it be used in pregnancy or while breastfeeding, in heart disease, especially in those with a pacemaker or in patients at rest.
Also, electrodes should never be placed on sores, open wounds, or areas with altered skin sensitivity.
It is recommended not to use TENS specifically in the frontal part of the neck since there is a probability of causing laryngeal spasm.
- 1 What is TENS?
- 2 Types of TENS
- 3 Applications of TENS electrostimulation
- 4 How is TENS used?
- 5 Differences between TENS and EMS
- 6 Contraindications of electro-stimulators